Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday things

We're in the process of hiring a new department manager.  It's an interesting process, especially from the staff point of view.  Our say is limited, because there's a lot that could go terribly wrong if you give people the option to pick their own boss.

So, the committee gets a pile of applications.  They select people to interview.  They narrow it down, they pass it to another committee (who either says "okay" or "try again"), then the original committee meets with the chair and presents the candidates.

As a staff, we were allowed to have a meet and greet with all three candidates. I reacted EXTREMELY strongly (and negatively) to one and I've been taking a lot of heat for it since then.  Not to say that it's completely unjustified - I mentioned the negative reaction, right?

Today, we met with the chair and presented our feelings/thoughts/suggestions to him.  He can dismiss them, if he wants to.  Because of this attitude problem (perceived or otherwise), I actually wrote up a pro and con list for all three of the candidates.  To my surprise, the list was about the same length for all three, though the strong sense of GOD NO remains.

However, I was COMPLETELY surprised to find out, in the end, that we all basically agreed... despite the arguing and the insults slung my way for my opinion.  However, our basic agreement does not line up with the upper level's preference, so we'll have to see what happens.

It's just a matter of waiting, waiting, waiting from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment